The Pastry Sous Chef is responsible for the production and presentation of pastries and other baked goods. Assists the Executive Pastry Chef in the daily activities of the kitchen, including menu development, inventory and purchasing of supplies, and cost control. Being a Pastry Sous Chef requires 4-6 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Oversees the activities of the pastry staff in the absence of the Executive Pastry Chef. In addition, Pastry Sous Chef requires an understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations. May require a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to an Executive Pastry Chef. The Pastry Sous Chef supervises a small group of para-professional staff in an organization characterized by highly transactional or repetitive processes. Contributes to the development of processes and procedures. Working as a Pastry Sous Chef typically requires 3 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. Thorough knowledge of functional area under supervision.
Pastry Sous Chef Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Pastry Sous Chef to join our team.
- Guide and motivate pastry personnel to work more efficiently;
- Prepare a wide variety of goods;
- Assist head chef with pricing of pastry menu items;
- To be innovative, creative, detailed orientated, have an artistic eye and also the ability to lead staff;
- Ensure all personnel are properly equipped with uniforms, supplies and tools;
- Design new menu choices based on seasonal ingredients;
- Should be able to take over any position in the kitchen;
- To achieve budgeted food cost, taking positive actions in the event of an adverse stock take;
- To ensure daily purchases are checked, stored correctly and rotated to maintain the highest of qualities;
- Implements a daily, weekly and monthly checklist for his/her area. Ensure proper follow-up to attain maximum quality and efficiency;
- To introduce flair, quality and innovation to all outlets;
- To ensure kitchen hygiene is met to the standards of municipality in conjunction with the kitchen brigade;
- Work with good relation and communication with service personnel and as well as kitchen and management;
- Manage and physically be involved in the food operation and safety standards;
- Has to be adjustable to work time, fluctuation and to work under pressure.
- Comfortable in dealing with very distinguished clientele;
- Organizing and leadership skills;
- Ability to maintain a professional working relationship with all departments and across cultures and religions;
- Excellent use of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and processes Passionate about the hospitality industry;
- In depth knowledge of sanitation principles, food preparation and baking techniques and nutrition;
- Honesty, Flexibility and Accountability;
- Own vehicle and valid driver’s license(non negotiable);
- Working knowledge of baking with ingredient limitations (pastries that are gluten free, sugarless, etc);
- Willingness to replenish professional knowledge;
- Preferably 3-4 years previous experience as a Pastry Sous Chef;
- Friendly & Helpful;
- Extreme attention to detail;
- Grade 12 & Culinary Diploma.